Monday, August 17, 2015

Oven Baked "Fried" Green Tomatoes


I am sucker for good comfort food!  Fried chicken, mac and cheese, and fried green tomatoes are some of my favorites.  As delicious as these foods are, they aren't exactly the best options for me.....you know.....since I want to eat healthier, and drop a few pounds (or a lot).  So, alas, I have found myself trying different methods of cooking my favorite foods, so that they are healthier for me, and my family........without sacrificing any flavor.  To start off my journey for a healthier lifestyle, I have to start with my favorite, fried green tomatoes.  I searched Pinterest for ideas on how to make them healthier, and naturally, skipping the frying and opting for baking seems to be the best way to save the calories without giving up the flavor.  When I fry my tomatoes, I coat them in corn meal.  Since that wouldn't be a great option for baking, I grabbed the panko instead (I've seen recipes that call for ground flax seed, but I think panko would give the best flavor).  I made these today for lunch, and the flavor is so much like my original version (with all of it's oily goodness).  I can now feel good about eating fried green tomatoes!

Oven Baked "Fried" Green Tomatoes

4 green tomatoes
Breading:
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp. ranch dressing mix (I used Hidden Valley)
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
Milk Mixture:
1 egg
1/8 cup whole milk (or buttermilk)
3 tsp. Sriracha



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Combine the ingredients for the milk mixture in one bowl, and the breading mixture in another.  Slice your green tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices.  Cover the tomato slices in the milk mixture, and then cover them with the breading mixture.  Place the tomato slices onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip, and then bake for 10 minutes on the other side.  Once finished, I enjoy them with some sriracha or Louisiana hot sauce.


I hope you enjoy this recipe.  Stay tuned as I attempt to enjoy healthier versions of my favorite foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment